This dessert is a great last minute addition to any meal. The basics ratio involves: 3 Parts Strawberry Puree : 1 Part Whipped Heavy Cream. Books on Mousse Techniques will often include use of chemical stabilizers, but this recipe focuses on last minute preparation allowing for a more natural taste.
Start with Chantilly Cream: In a large bowl, whip cream with whisk. Add sugar slowly until fully incorporated. The amount of sugar depends on your sweetness preferences and the sweetness of your strawberry puree. Your looking for stiff peaks. Keep chilled in the fridge.
In a pot large enough water to fit all your strawberries, add enough water to cover the bottom, add strawberries (washed, de-stemmed and halved/quartered) and cover. Bring pot to a boil, then down to a simmer. Simmer strawberries until fork tender. Using a hand blender or food processor, process strawberries until a smooth puree is formed. No lumps. Set aside in a bowl in the fridge.
Once the Strawberry puree from step three is fully chilled (about 20 minutes), remove from fridge. Take 25% of chantilly and fold into strawberry puree. Then once fully incorporated, at the remaining 75% of Chantilly cream, using the same folding technique. Spoon mixture in containers of choice.
Chill for at least three hours and serve with any choice of cream or fruit complements. Make sure not to forget the mint; adds a beautiful textural, colourful and flavourful contrast to the rich and creamy strawberry mousse.
Luscious, delicious, and oh so tasty